Happy Mother’s Day!! This was Amberly’s first show back after attending Kindiefest, the family music conference, so she had piles of new things to play. Click some of the links below for more information and be sure to check out Helen Austin‘s JUNO award winning album for kids and families, Always Be A Unicorn. It is, as you’ll hear in the video below our playlist, “Lovely.”
Happy days, Lovely ones!
Billy Kelly does it…well… again, with his latest titled AGAIN!!!. The prolific Mr. Kelly’s most recent full length release is chock full of banjo driven (though not at all Bluegrass) humor that ranges from stories of lost sweaters to songs about his favorite dog and stretches all the way over into classic rock territory with a cover of ELO’s “Mr. Blue Sky.” A very fine release, if we’ve ever heard one.
This week on Ages 3 and Up! we went on a voyage to the moon and celebrated Saint Patrick’s Day with the story of Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel. Hopefully our voyagers have since returned to Earth and are safely back where they belong. If YOU are a voyager who is stuck on the moon, you should get in touch ASAP; we have songs to help with that, too!
Here’s what we played:
- Yo La Tengo- “My Little Corner of the World”- I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One
- Takagi Masakatsu- “Come March”- v/a Childish Music
- Key Wilde & Mr. Clarke- “Going To The Moon”- Rise and Shine
- Sheree Plett- “Times Two”- Hello Night (And check out the lovely new Times Two book!)
- The Harmonica- “Supermoon”- Apple Apple
- Paul Spring- “See The Moon”- Home of Song
- Meadows- “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star”- The Littlest Star
- Frances England- “Goldilocks Zone”- v/a Science Fair
- Beethoven’s Wig- “Voyage to the Moon (Clair de Lune)”- Sing Along Piano Classics
- The Speks- “Saint Patrick’s Day”- http://thespeks.com
- Virginia Lee Burton/ The London Philharmonic/ Yadu- “Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel”- Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel
- Billy Kelly- “Mr. Blue Sky”- AGAIN!!!
Happy days, folks!
New and LOVELY music from Paul Spring this week! His Home of Song album might just be my favorite of the already very fine crop of albums for kids and families released this year so far. Mr. Spring collaborated with members of The Okee Dokee Brothers and Dean Jones (all of whom recently won Grammy awards for their work on Can You Canoe?) to produce this very excellent and highly recommended album. Hear more here.
More new and newish music this week from Justin Roberts, Like Totally!, Underbirds and Elena Moon Park and Friends. We played a whole lot of counting songs, a bit of classic rock, songs about eels and connected some dots. We had a ton of fun, and hope you did too!
- Maher Shalal Hash Baz- “Good Morning”- v/a Childish Music
- Paul Spring- “Home of Song”- Home of Song
- Justin Roberts- “Count Them As They Go”- Lullaby
- Basil Kirchin- “I Start Counting”- v/a Fuzzy Felt Folk
- Dan Zanes and Friends- “West Indian Counting Song”- House Party
- Mariana Iranzi- “The Numbers Song”- Aventura Collage
- Brian Vogan and His Good Buddies- “27″- Sing A Little Song
- John Upchurch and Mark Greenberg- “A Counting Error”- John and Mark’s Children’s Record
- Like Totally!- “Millions of Things”- Good Mews
- Dreyer Family Band- “Glitter”- Family Photograph
- Harry Nilsson- “POV Waltz”- The Point
- Underbirds- “Brilliance”- Underbirds (forthcoming)
- Gustafer Yellowgold- “Your Eel”- Wide Wild World
- Elena Moon Park feat. Kronos Quartet & Wu Man- “Ti Oh Oh”- Rabbit Days and Dumplings
- Emily Curtis- “We Belong”- v/a Many Hands: Family Music For Haiti
- Dean Jones- “Bygones”- Napper’s Delight
- Lunch Money- “Puzzle Pieces Within”- Spicy Kid
- Rabbit!- “Connect the Dots”- Connect the Dots